|Title||Book swapping/books donation|
|Genre||Evening programme, service, enjoyment|
|Date||Wednesday to Sunday|
|Time||drop by when you want|
|Contact||Elitre - please help yourself when table is not attended|
We will create a corner where everyone can:
- wild-release books they brought to Esino and maybe collect others they're interested in; and/or
- bring books to be donated to Associazione Amici del Museo delle Grigne Onlus to create a special Wikimania Archive and leave a mark of the event in local culture (per suggestion on Twitter; we can't guarantee all books will be accepted and kept, though).
These books could be a source of good references for content on our sites, or just items you'd like to donate/bring back home because they're cool anyway (gorgeous pics, a language/script people may have never seen before, etc.)
If you're familiar with the international treats table at the Wikimedia Conference, think of this as slightly similar (but, you can bring the books home!).
I will participate by bringing books
- please also add them on Meta
- I will bring at least 2 books! Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 22:13, 31 May 2016 (UTC)
- The only risk is that I forget. I love giving away good books. Qgil-WMF (talk) 09:28, 1 June 2016 (UTC)
- I will bring books! --Rosiestep (talk) 14:29, 1 June 2016 (UTC)
- I will bring books: will probably add titles after this weekend Elitre (talk) 09:06, 15 June 2016 (UTC)
- --MLWatts (talk) 19:06, 17 June 2016 (UTC)
- I will also bring some books from Taiwan and some books I bought in China --Shangkuanlc (talk) 22:21, 19 June 2016 (UTC)
- Elitre (talk) 14:18, 15 June 2016 (UTC)
- Sample tweet: Are you coming to @WikimaniaEsino ? Bring books with you! Find out more at http://wikipedialibrary.org/Esino ! #wikimania #book #bookcrossing
- Or retweet: https://twitter.com/Elitre/status/743083473808822276
I can help at the books'corner
I will stop by at the table
- I will not bring any books but I would like to be there and talk Mardetanha (talk) 15:52, 1 June 2016 (UTC)
- I will not bring any books but I would like to be there and talk Rberchie (talk)Rberchie (talk) 19:22, 3 June 2016 (UTC)
Interested but not sure I can participate
- We could contact local (maybe not exactly in Esino Lario!) bookshops or publishers for book donations? Nonoranonqui (talk) 12:28, 6 June 2016 (UTC)
Previous conversation on the topic
We could use the most popular, multilingual website which has provided the ability to track books' paths for years now (I did so a few times in the past, 1 - 2; here's what a book page looks like in the system, with comments by people who took the book, read it,then left it somewhere else), but I can easily anticipate how people would object to having to register there, using a system which is possibly not open, etc.
I want to link this initiative to the Wikipedia Library, providing a sentence about it on the label which gets attached to the book, and a QR code to its main page.
So, first step: what should we use to track the books' journey? (please comment below) The only thing I can imagine would be on Meta, a table where the book "ID" is just the related row number. However, such a table may be not that easy to maintain (the data we need to track is book ID, basic info about the book, and then info on where it was/when it was/who released, found, re-released it, and so on).
- This could be interesting, but its not a must -- I think just having a book swap table with information and labels would be sufficient, in the Community space. Astinson (WMF) (talk) 15:33, 1 June 2016 (UTC)
- Per feedback, let's just create a tracking table on Meta. Releasers can still track the books in their favourite systems as well if they wish to do so.
Second step (in progress): creating the label layout. Any takers? Here are some examples; maybe we could use the TWL logo. We also need to add a sentence like "The Wikipedia Library helps editors access reliable sources to improve Wikipedia. We also help knowledge professionals share their collections with the public. Find out more at [short URL here]", and a QR code that points to the initiative page on Meta, which will also feature info about TWL. The resulting design will be uploaded to Commons.
- Sounds great You are more than welcome to use our short url
wikilibrary.orgwikipedialibrary.org , and we have other materials on Category:The_Wikipedia_Library. In the past, @MCruz (WMF): has helped us with visuals -- I think that could be a fairly small ask if she is interested, Astinson (WMF) (talk) 15:33, 1 June 2016 (UTC)
- @Astinson (WMF): @Elitre:I can help with the label design, would be happy to =) - any timeline? When would we need this label printed by? MCruz (WMF) (talk) 16:30, 2 June 2016 (UTC)
Third step (in progress): after we have sorted out the things above, let's campaign to let everyone know about this!
- @Ocaasi (WMF): and I would be happy to support this in communications. Astinson (WMF) (talk) 15:33, 1 June 2016 (UTC)
Fourth step: get the labels printed so that people can tag their books in Esino if they can't do it before.
Fifth step: organize the space in Esino (Elitre to take care of this)
Sixth step: be at the books' corner to explain initiative and help!
You may specify that you want to leave your books to Esino's community. Iolanda has recommended that we consider donating them to the Associazione Amici del Museo delle Grigne Onlus (Villa Clotilde) as they manage the Ecomuseo, are the people behind Associazione Comitato Wikimania Esino Lario 2016, and are heavily involved in Esino's culture. There is no guarantee they'll be able to actually make a "Wikimania Archive" out of our books, but let's try.
Almost 50 books were exchanged during Wikimania!