Frequently asked questions
In this page you can find the answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Wikimania Esino Lario 2016.
- What is Wikimania?
- The Annual gathering of Wikimedia enthusiasts participating in many free and open projects, of which Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, is the largest. Two years after the London meeting, Wikimania returns to Europe. We will host talks about free culture, education, technology and many other topics. The event is open to everyone, experts, researchers, enthusiasts and curious people alike!
- What is Wikimania 2016 about?
- Wikimania 2016 is a usual Wikimania, but also a special one: for the first time in twelve years it will take place in Italy, but not in a huge conference hall, hotel or university; just in a small village in the Alps, Esino Lario. Wikimania 2016's venue is the entire village! Walking in Esino Lario you will find Wikimaniacs everywhere, so it will be a fantastic opportunity to meet other community members in a family atmosphere.
There will be many events to attend and be part of.
- How much does it cost?
- You can see registration costs in the registration page.
- Where do I register?
- Registrations are open. See Registration.
- Are there any discounts or scholarships?
- Yes. Please read Scholarships.
Typical Italian style power plugs
- What should I bring?
- If you have one: a laptop and its charger
- Power adapters for Italy (Type L) or Europlug: detailed infos here
- Phone charger
- Comfortable shoes or hiking boots
- Raincoat and umbrella
- Sweater for the evening fresh air
- Your desire to have fun
- What is the equipment in each flat?
- All the flats have bedrooms and beds with sheets and blankets, and a bathroom with towels. Often a kitchen and a tv, too.
- Do all accommodations have Wi-Fi connection?
- There will be Wi-Fi connection in the meeting halls and central spots in the village as well as in most hotels but not necessarily in all the flats.
- What currency is used in Italy?
- Only Euro - but there are 2 ATM in Esino if you want to withdraw euros.
- Where is Wikimania 2016 being held?
- The conference will be held in and around the village of Esino Lario, near Lake Como in Lombardy (Italy). More information about the venue is available on the venue page.
- How do I get to the venue?
- See the travel page.
- What amenities are there?
- There will be wifi and power (Italian plugs only, so visitors from other countries will need to bring adaptors).
- Will there be food and drink?
- Lunch and refreshments (tea, coffee etc.) are included on the conference days (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) — and hackathon days (Wednesday, Thursday) if you are attending those as well — as part of your registration fee. Additional food and drinks are available all-around Esino Lario.
- How accessible is it?
- All the venues are accessible (rarely partially accessible).
- Who should I contact about special requirements?
- Email any requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org
Travel and accommodation
- If travelling from inside the EU, what do I need?
- From EU countries you don't need a Visa. Remember to bring your ID and, if you have one, your passport.
- If travelling from outside the EU, what do I need?
- See Visa for full details.
- How do I get from the airport/train station to Esino Lario?
You can register for a transfer from and to the airport here NEEDS UPDATE. Transfers from the 3 main airports around Milan - Milan Malpensa, Milan Linate and Milan Orio Al Serio - to Esino Lario have been organised on Tuesday 21 and Thursday 23 June. Transfer from Esino Lario to one of the mentioned airports has been organised for Monday 27 June. If you are not flying out from one of these airports, you can book the transfer to Linate airport and from here take the local bus to Milan Central Station from where trains to all major Italian cities and many EU cities depart.
- If you are leaving Esino Lario on a day different from Monday 27 June, you can take a bus from Esino Lario to Varenna (which will be running regularly during the conference period) and from Varenna take the train to Milan Central Station (1 h journey). From Milan Central Station you can easily reach one of the three above mentioned airports.
- See journey for full details.
- What happens if my flight is late?
- As long as a scheduled shuttle is available it won’t be a problem; unfortunately if the delay stretches all the way to the night it will be possible to transfer to Esino only by taxi.
- Is renting a car at the airport convenient?
- You may rent a car at the airport, possibly book it in advance, and maybe give a lift to Wikipedians waiting for the bus!
- What happens if my luggage gets lost?
- Report it to the lost & found offices available in the arrival halls in the airports, the airline will provide postal service for your luggage. Some volunteers will be in airports: don't hesitate to ask them. Please communicate this address for delivery:
Associazione Comitato Wikimania Esino Lario 2016 via Montefiori 19 23825 Esino Lario It is the association managing the accommodation during Wikimania. The association is based at Villa Clotilde which will host the offices during Wikimania and it will always be open.
- Is it a problem if I suffer from travel sickness?
- Sadly yes, the roads heading to Esino are very twisty so if you suffer from motion related sicknesses it is recommended to sit towards the front of the bus.
- Coming by car, what telephone number should I call in case of breakdown/accident?
- Rental offices will provide the emergency numbers:
- Aci (Italian car services): +39 800 116 800
- Emergency number: 112
- Where are the approved hotels?
- Accommodation in Esino Lario is directly managed by the team through the registration process and we only provide simple and assigned shared rooms (a total of 738 beds in Esino).
- If you want to pick your hotel/accommodation you can contact directly the offer in Perledo and Varenna; we will provide transport between these two towns and Esino Lario.
- Are there camping sites in Esino?
- In Esino there is no special facility for campers but you may choose to stay at a camping site in Dervio or Colico, on lake Como, approx. 30 and 40 minutes far from Esino. In such case there will be a special no-accommodation registration price.
- Are the accommodation equipped for the disabled?
- There are a few rooms with the necessary equipment.
- How can I get from my accommodation to the different meetings?
- The distance between the accommodations and all the different meetings is usually very short so you can walk. If you have specific problems you mentioned in the registration form you’ll be accommodated in the most suitable flats.
- Which address should I give to immigration officer upon entering the country ?
- For immigration purposes and luggage lost, please communicate the address
- Associazione Comitato Wikimania Esino Lario 2016
- via Montefiori 19
- 23825 Esino Lario
- It is the association managing the accommodation during Wikimania. We centralized the registration and the accommodation, and we will be communicating all the data to the police as requested by the Italian legislation. The association is based at Villa Clotilde which will host the offices during Wikimania and it will always be open.
- Do I need special vaccines?
- No jabs are required. You need to be covered for diphtheria, tetanus, measles, mumps, rubella, polio and hepatitis B.
- Where is the nearest hospital? How far is it?
- The nearest small hospital is in Bellano (via C. Alberto 25 tel. +39 0341 829111) 16 km or 30 minutes by car.
- The main hospital is in Lecco (via Dell'Eremo 9-11 tel. +39 848884422) 46 km or 50 minutes by car or in Morbegno (via E.Morelli 1 tel. +39 0342 607111) 50 km or 1 hour by car
- Where can I buy medicines?
- Pharmacies have specific opening times. They are closed on Sundays and at night. But for emergencies "shift pharmacies" will stay open on rotation basis. Pharmacists can give you advice and sell over-the-counter medicines. Otherwise you need a doctor's prescription. In Esino Lario, Lecco, Bellano or Morbegno you can find english-speaking doctors.
- Where can I find a pharmacy?
- The nearest one is in Esino (Tenente Gulfi square) under the City Hall. See OpenStreetMap.
- Do I need a health insurance?
- EU nationals can get reduced cost/free care with EHIC (European Health Insurance Card); NON EU nationals need a medical insurance. It all depends on the different agreements between Italy and your country.
- Is it legal to drink alcohol? How much?
- Drinking alcohol is legal but the limit if you drive is 0,5 g/l. Driving under the influence of alcohol is a seriuous crime!
- Where can I smoke?
- You can smoke outdoors. In Italy smoking isn’t allowed in public places.
- Is it legal to use drugs?
- No, it isn’t. Drugs in Italy are illegal and there are strict punishments for this crime.
Shopping and services
- Are there any groceries in Esino?
- There is a market, a mini-market and a greengrocer’s with delicious home made icecream. Check on OpenSteetMap.
- Are there any souvenir shops?
- There is a news agent with a few books, toys and souvenirs. See OpenStreetMap.
- Are there any clothes shop?
- There is one called il negozietto, at the bottom of the village. See OpenStreetMap.
- Is there a Catholic church in Esino?
- There are 3 Catholic churches. The main one (San Vittore martire) is between the two old hamlets, each of whom have a smaller one (San Giovanni Battista and Sant'Antonio abate).
- Is there a mosque in Esino?
- No, only in Lecco (about 35 km from Esino).
- Which mobile operators' networks will work there?
- If you plan to buy a SIM card in Italy, note that only TIM and Vodafone's networks cover the area.
- Where can I see the schedule?
- The programme is under construction.
- Can I apply to give a talk or run a workshop?
- Submissions for posters, discussions and trainings are closed. Meetups can still be arranged.
- I would like to organize a conference on a very topical issue. Can I still do so?
- Submissions for sessions are now closed but there will be plenty of time for informal meetings.
- What needs to be done?
- Volunteers are essential to help make the conference run smoothly.
- How can I get involved?
- If you’re interested in volunteering, check out our volunteers page.
Need more information?
- Our helpdesk can be contacted as follows
- Wikimania Helpdesk: wikimania2016wikimedia.it
- Twitter: @WikimaniaEsino
- Facebook: /wikimaniaesino
- Italy Emergency Service: 112
- During preconference you can find the Helpdesk in Villa Monastero (Varenna). During the conference you can find it at registration stand (Ex Italia) and in the Community Village.