Training sessions/Proposals/SVG illustration workshop
An introduction to SVG and illustration techniques with Inkscape
A picture is worth a thousand words. Illustration using Inkscape is much easier than realized and a few tips and tricks are offered in this workshop. We will also get to learn a bit about advanced ideas such as interactivity and animation that might have greater application in the future - which will also be continued in the afternoon session by Gordon Lee.
- What vector images are.
- Inkscape concepts
- objects, paths, groups, combine, text, object properies, effects, text-on-path, layers
- Beziers, path operations - union, intersection, difference
- Tracing - automated, manual
- Importing from R and other software (esp. maps and graphs)
- Getting participants to produce desired output
- SVG event handlers - interactivity
- Advanced SVG features
- Simple animation
- Element highlighting using hover and click
- Python GIF animation to SVG converter for interactive timelines and simple 3D viewer
- Python/SVG near-polyglot scripting framework
Good illustrations can greatly enhance Wikipedia and making them is a useful skill for all content creators to have.
- Targeted participants:
Any Wikipedia content developers with an interest in gaining some illustration skills.
- Preparatory readings or materials:
- Laptop with mouse.
- Participants are welcome to preinstall Inkscape on their computers and have an illustration to make in mind.
- For Advanced SVG features: your favourite text editor, and for Python features, Python 2 (may work with Python 3 too)
- Links to examples
|Element highlighting:||File:6-set_Venn_diagram_SMIL.svg, File:Demo_group_highlighting_SMIL.svg|
|GIF animation converter:||template:gif_animation_to_svg.py|
- Interested attendees
- Satdeep Gill (talk) 14:41, 14 March 2016 (UTC) (Map of Punjab)
- Rehman 15:52, 15 March 2016 (UTC)
- Dyolf77 (talk)
- Bodhisattwa (talk) 11:42, 30 March 2016 (UTC)
- cmglee (talk) 21:42, 30 March 2016 (UTC) (Also a collaborator)
- CristianNX (talk)
- Slashme (talk)
- --MB-one (talk) 17:10, 15 June 2016 (UTC)
- Sebastian Berlin (WMSE) (talk) 08:25, 17 June 2016 (UTC)
- Gikü (talk) 15:59, 17 June 2016 (UTC)
- Laura 22:20 , 24 June 2016
- Vitor Mazuco (talk) 17:23, 7 July 2016 (UTC)