Hi all! Thanks to the Comitato for all their organizing work.
One comment: It was a bit surprising/off-putting to arrive at this page well before the end of May 15 in my time zone and find the registration link had already been taken down (and by an IP address!). It seems this happened at an appropriate time for those in Italian time zones (totally understandable). However, given that the page did not specify that the deadline was May 15 in one particular time zone, it seems like it would be helpful to leave the link up until a bit more of the Western Hemisphere gets a chance to register? Indeed, for some parts of the world (e.g., Hawaii and some other Pacific islands), the edit would have meant that the registration closed much closer to May 14 than the planned date of May 15!. Aaronshaw (talk) 03:50, 16 May 2016 (UTC)
Wrong dates ?
Hi, I just translated this page in French but @Iopensa: I think there is a little mistake on « Wednesday 23rd of June. » It should be Wednesday 22nd or Thursday 23rd (I put Thursday 23rd in French as it seems more logical but I'm unsure, could someone confirm and correct the date?).
- thanks VIGNERON (and thanks for the translation!). Thursday 23rd is correct. perfect and thanks. --iopensa (talk) 22:04, 10 March 2016 (UTC)
Comitato Wikimania Esino Lario 2016
While performing my Wikimania '16 Full Scholar Registration I was stoppered on the need to agree on becoming a member of "Comitato Wikimania Esino Lario 2016, a non profit organization established in order to deliver the event", paying €1 membership fee and becoming "aware of the Articles of Association of the organisation found at the above link". The link mentioned leads to m:Wikimania 2016 bids/Esino Lario/Management. I have several questions here.
First of all, it is unclear from the start why should one become a member of a NGO in order to participate in Wikimania.
Secondly, asking a scholar to pay €1 sounds like those giveaways in stores when you win 'a right to buy the product at a price of €0.01', don't you think? What is this for?
Thirdly, one is to become "aware of the Articles of Association of the organisation found at the above link". The direction looks a bit strayed, as the page describes general needs of what has to be done so that Wikimania runs, rather than documenting the Association, but fortunately it does have PDF with Bylaws (Statute) and other documentation attached. The documents are only in Italian, though; I am it-0 and that is not the level of comprehension of main organisation documents I deem sufficient prior becoming its member. Without this, basic membership things (regular fees, obligations or rights, like Board elections, leaving the organisation and so on) remain unclear.
There is also another question which arises basing on the form: above in it I authorise the Comitato Wikimania Esino Lario 2016 et al. to "use my personal data for the event itself, in compliance with Italian Law (D. Lgs. n. 196/2003), and nowhere else." (I wonder if the part about Italian Law is fully applicable to Wikimedia CH also listed there, but that's off the topic.) Does that mean that in case it is needed by this membership I am in access of all the participants' data — as I become a part of an organisation having access to it (not that I need them, but looks interesting)?
- hi Base.
- we need an association to manage income and expenses (around 200 "providers" are involved and they include also private citizens providing services for a reimbursement). The association leading Wikimania – Associazione Amici del Museo delle Grigne Onlus – is an onlus, a very specific association which could not manage this task. Associating people for the event allows us to organize Wikimania for all the people associated and to reimburse those who have provided their apartments (for sheets, cleaning, costs of electricity and water). No people involved are payed, the board is made only of volunteers and there is no commercial objective and of course no money shared among anyone.
- the fee is 1 euro because we need to have a fee and it is of course included in all the registrations; fees simply contribute as all the rest of the income to the expenses for the participants. We wanted to not put any fee but it is not possible.
- All the documents are uploaded and i'm going to upload one more because of a meeting yesterday. The specific objective of the association is to promote and organize the event Wikimania (the name of the association is Associazione Comitato Wikimania Esino Lario 2016), which is also the reason we created it. Maybe google translate can give you an idea of the content of the document and we are in the process of translating them. The regulations of the association are the regulations of Wikimania (different kind of registrations, decisions related to the the support we can provide to the volunteers and yesterday it was also decided about the kind of expenses which can be covered by the committee - food, accommodation, transport, insurance, t-shirts, welcome begs, sheets and copies of the keys)
- for personal data we apply the Italian legislation. Data are collected to allow us to organize Wikimania and to support the participants (registration, accommodation, wifi, police registration for foreigners requested by law); with this objective in mind, only people who need the data to organize Wikimania and support the participants have access to them.
- See also https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimania-l/2016-March/thread.html#7253 for more messages. The above message does not answer the main question though. These points are good reasons for event organisers and sponsors to be associated. But, why must people become a member of this organisation to attend? What exactly do you want to do for attendees that you cannot legally do unless they are a member? --Krinkle (talk) 19:08, 16 March 2016 (UTC)
- "What exactly do you want to do": giving them Wikimania. "Selling" a service, such as a conference, is a completely different matter from a fiscal perspective etc. if the "customers" are members. Nemo 20:32, 17 March 2016 (UTC)
Where is the correct place to request a certain roommate?
I do not see on the first page of the registration form an option to request a roommate.
Is this option on the second page? I wanted to make sure I did booking correctly to get a certain roommate.
- When I confirmed the registration on eventbrite, I was redirected to a page which linked the form where to enter all accommodation preferences. Nemo 21:33, 3 April 2016 (UTC)
prices for children registration
Hi, I would really appreciate to have more information
- how much will it cost to register my 3 kids aged 11, 12 and 18 - could the children aged 11 and 12 participate in some kind of activities - could I register for an accommodation that is practical for families or even with other families --Nattes à chat (talk) 00:30, 4 April 2016 (UTC)
- Hello Nattes à chat,
- here the answers to all your questions:
- for kids aged 11 and over the full price shown on the registration page applies;
- unfortunately up to now there are no activities for kids aged 11 and over, however we can talk with the organisers of the green camp and understand if they can participate.
- we have accommodations which are well suited for families, please write an e-mail at email@example.com in order to get in touch with us directly.--Tremej (talk) 20:56, 10 April 2016 (UTC)
Simple ticket price: for one day or for all of them?
Not sure this is the right place where to ask for information. 1-3 days conference: €20
- hi Mikima, the price is 20 euro for 1 day, for 2 days or for 3 days. It is always 20 euro (and 35 euro for 5 days and it includes the welcome bag). all the best --iopensa (talk) 19:06, 8 June 2016 (UTC)
Ticket for 5 days
Hi, I've got a ticket for 5 days and 6 nights, starting on Thursday, 23 June at 9 AM. I have, however, planned to arrive on Tuesday evening so that I will be present on the first preconference day. Is there some mistake? --Pakeha (talk) 10:03, 15 June 2016 (UTC)
- hi Pakeha did you write this in your registration? with a 5 days package we expect you to arrive on the 21st. If you did not informed about this in your registration you are not supposed to make changes without an ok. At this point if you did not write this in your registration and you have already your ticket (plain or train) please contact urgently Marta and provide your full name and registration number. we can not manage it in the talk page of the registration with a nickename. Please consider that this is the after job activity of Marta and all of us, so please try your best to make things simple also for us. We are happy to try to accommodate requests, but we are confident you will make less requests as possible :) I am sure you understand. thanks, --iopensa (talk) 10:42, 15 June 2016 (UTC)