Discussions/Submissions/Women and Gender gap : the way forward
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Women and Gender gap : the way forward
- Proposed by
- Making Things Happen
- * Brainstorm and identify actions that would help reduce the gender gap : social media campaign that lasts beyond Esino Lario to promote and cross-promote our articles ? editathons ? special projects ? grant requests ? regional conferences ? tech tools beyond WIGI ? research projects ?
- * Plan ways to go forward
- Targeted participants
- People interested in the topic : the shy woman sitting at the table who has come to her first Wikimania and is suffering from Imposter Syndrome, the woman attending her 10th Wikimania, and everyone else
- Preparatory readings or materials
- Ideal timing
- After the talks, user digest and critical issue on the topic
- in an ideal world... the discussion would take place either JUST BEFORE Meetups/WikiWomen's Lunch or JUST AFTER it.
Questions and Comments 37
- Hi Anthere, thank you for your proposal. This sounds like an extension of the WikiWomen's Lunch, right? Why not just extend the lunch itself? Thanks, --Gnom (talk) 12:42, 17 April 2016 (UTC)
- disclaimer... I wrote this proposal in the name of m:Wikimania Women. Then I was asked to help on deciding which discussions should be kept... Anthere (talk)
- We can... but I thought of the "space" issue. Ideally we need a place to meet, but we have no idea where the women lunch will take place, or how it will unfold. I remember that some years, we grabbed food at a commun buffet and moved to a room. Other years, we had lunch bags, so we grabbed a lunch bag and move to a room. Key point is that in basically all cases, the room was ONLY free during lunch time. After lunch, it was used for presentations or other activities. If we have a room to have the lunch, but invite women to move out in the street to have our after-lunch discussion, chance is that we lose our people :) So essentially... yeah, what we need is time a bit extended after our lunch in the SAME place. Or actually time before our lunch is ok also. Note that there is also a request to hold an women edit-a-thon during Wikimania. So ideally... the 3 things could get together (something like... end of morning... discussion place... then lunch together... then extended with the edit-a-thon time). Anthere (talk)
- @Anthere: Having a discussion about the gendergap / diversity seems relevant, but we would have to focus the topic a bit. Right now... it is quite broad :) Also, the purpose is a bit unclear. I would suggest to pick one or two topics that are highly relevant to the diversity question, and use those. We could focus on gathering existing processes, existing approaches, brainstorming possible solutions for something or gather stories/experiences. Effeietsanders (talk) 13:22, 21 April 2016 (UTC)
- Yeah. Let me think about that a bit... (since you are in Berlin... do ask Flonight for her input as well !!) Anthere (talk)
- Keeping a few links at hand :
- Critical issues presentations/Content Gender Gap, an International Movement,
- Critical issues presentations/Wikidata Human Gender Index: How Should Biography Gender Gap Data Serve The Community?
- Critical issues presentations/How we organized a 1500 person meetup (and you could too)
- Critical issues presentations/Gender gap in the global south: Lessons from policy and outreach
- Note : we are thinking of not holding a women lunch this year. We would only keep this discussion spot (if approved), to discuss ways to go forward and in particular the set up of a conference/summit dedicated to the gender issue. Anthere (talk)
- Brainstorming regarding a content gender gap thematic conference. Discussion to include draft agenda, possible date(s) (e.g. March 2017 in conjunction with Women's History Month), possible location(s), funding sources, communication plan. Outcome: Resolution to commit to an international content gender gap thematic conference, with an outline of how to move forward
- Brainstorming regarding communicating about content gender gap among editors. Ways forward to encourage the creation of a "Gendergap" WP page per language wiki. This is a Wikiverse issue that deserves a Wikipedia page, and most large wikis have yet to publish one. We are three years into this goal and so far only English and Spanish? The printed sources (mostly in response to March 8th activity) are generally English, but that should not be the major show-stopper it seems to be now. Outcome: resolution regarding a dedicated communication channel for content gender gap across languages, and document our known comm channels (e.g. FB, Twitter, Telegram, Skype, Wikipedia talkpages, Wikimedia talkpages, Wikiproject talkpages, etc.).
- Discussion and documentation of tips&tricks we currently use to (a) find the notable women already in the Wikiverse but not yet on WP (harvesting redlinks per language wiki); and (b) battle the notability gap due to a lack of reliable sources by finding alternative reliable sources and easing their usage methods as a way to encourage re-use.
- Hi @Anthere: congratulations! This proposal, renamed "Gender gap: thematic conference planning alongside current issues review" has been accepted by the Discussion Room Committee and will be included in the Discussion Room program. It is tentatively scheduled for Sunday morning, 26 June 2016, but that is subject to change. Please confirm you'll be attending Wikimania, and let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything our team can do to assist you with preparations for this discussion. I look forward to meeting you at Wikimania; safe travels! --Rosiestep (talk) 03:00, 26 May 2016 (UTC)
- @Rosiestep: I know that this is a template answer (which I will copy for my own feedbacks without any shame), but given that I am member of the discussion team, it reads funny :)))) Errr. Yes, I confirm that I will attend Wikimania... Anthere (talk)
@Rosiestep: I have a practical question ... you say that the proposal has been renamed Gender gap: thematic conference planning alongside current issues review. But where do we see that ? Anthere (talk)
- @Anthere: Not sure I understand the question? I tried to make the title be representative of the above points. Feel free to rename it to something which better describes it. --Rosiestep (talk) 16:26, 29 May 2016 (UTC)
- @Rosiestep:Well, this page still is called Women and Gender gap : the way forward and the title of the discussion in it is still Women and Gender gap : the way forward. I understand it is a mean to preserve the past, the history. But I fear it might be a bit confusing to anyone visiting the page, no ? In any cases, there is nothing urgent. We can discuss that next Sunday if needed. Anthere (talk)