Discussions/Submissions/How to continue the Affiliates boards training program
Jump to navigation Jump to search
How to continue the Affiliates boards training program
- Title: Reinforcing skills and competences of board members. How to continue the affiliates boards training program.
- Proposed by: Tim-Moritz Hector (email@example.com – Germany – WMDE) and Frans Grijzenhout (firstname.lastname@example.org – Netherland – WMNL)
- Description: Discuss the need for an international training for Affiliate board members. Discuss the framework, the scope and targets for a new training.
- Background: During the pre-conference days of the Wikimedia Conference in Berlin we organized the 3rd training for board members, with a focus on grant processes, relation board – staff and other issues that pose obstacles for good board performance and growth. The training was directly aimed at new board members elected at affiliates with staff or an ED, where the board is a governing body and not a managing or operational board. For this discussion session we would like to find out whether there is a common ground for a continuation of the board training program. Are there subjects that need to be addressed? Are there specific target groups that need support? Should a next board training explicitly be targeted to affiliates without staff? Should more operational and tactical issues be inserted in the training and / or should the training be aimed at developing individual skills? Next to these primary questions we also like to raise the issue of organizing the training. Hopefully we can lay the foundation of a new series of board member trainings and create a tangible start for the 4th Affiliates boards member training.
- Purpose:Secure the continuation of a boards training program. Discuss the framework of a 4th training: scope, targets, organizational issues and bring together volunteers to organize it.
- Targeted participants:Affiliate Board members
- Preparatory readings or materials: Evaluation + learning materials from earlier Boards trainings (to be published on meta).
Questions and Comments 45
- Hi Tim-Moritz and Grijz, thank you for your proposal. Why should this discussion be held at Wikimania and not at the Wikimedia Conference itself? Also, I would like to disclose a conflict of interest: Tim-Moritz and I are both members of the board of Wikimedia Deutschland. Thanks, --Gnom (talk) 13:43, 17 April 2016 (UTC)
- Hi. Might it share some common ground with Discussions#How_do_we_identify.2C_develop_and_support_community_leadership.3F ? Anthere (talk)
- Tim-Moritz & @Grijz: Definitely sounds like an interesting topic, but I'm uncertain if the nature of your question makes this the most suitable format for it. I think the Affiliates meeting would indeed be a better opportunity - as you're specifically talking about trainings for board members. However, I could imagine a slightly broader discussion about trainings in general, and the discussion Anthere links is indeed a relevant one for that. That would also be easier for a wider group of people to participate in. In general the idea of setting up a training for board members is great though! At this point, I would propose not to schedule this topic as part of this track. (disclaimer: Grijz is chairman of Wikimedia Nederland, which I'm an active member of - and we work together frequently in that capacity) Effeietsanders (talk) 13:55, 22 April 2016 (UTC)