The Discussion Room is a space for open and facilitated discussions at Wikimania. Participation of the audience in the session is critical, because there are no speakers, and there is no expert panel!
You can find a full overview of the discussion topics on the Discussion Room main page. Please note: there is limited seating available, and we're not saving any seats! Please be on time, but feel free to join during the midway break between two discussions.
- What are the movement-wide opportunities for supporting and growing GLAM-Wiki?
- Date & Time
- Friday 14.00-14.40, 24 June 2016
- Wittylama (talk) & Effeietsanders (talk)
- Primary School
The Discussion Rooms host discussions with a specific style:
- Discussions of 40 minutes each;
- Clearly defined topic for each discussion, related to Wikimedia;
- Aiming to reach pre-defined goals during the discussion;
- Discussions take place in English;
- Discussions are moderated by a facilitator;
- There is no audience as everybody is expected to participate in discussions, and everybody is audience;
- Key lessons and points are documented live on etherpad, and may be processed later;
- Each discussion will come with a single recommendation of maximum 120 characters.
Each discussion targets specifically online Wikimedia projects, it lasts 40 minutes and it starts with a short 2-3 minutes introduction.
To set the tone of our discussions, we have three rules:
- Focus on YOU. We are interested in discussing and triggering individual action, things people can personally do and change to improve our Wikimedia projects and movement. We trust the discussion can be much more interesting if we do not focus on what others should do ("the others", Wikimedia chapters and Wikimedia Foundation).
- Be constructive and polite. Disagreements animate discussions and they can allow us to unfold all issues related to a topic. Let's avoid personal attacks, let's consider that we have different backgrounds and let's aim at making everybody comfortable in sharing their legitimate point of view.
- Be short and on topic. Let's create space for everyone to express his/her opinion.
Since 2010, GLAM-Wiki has grown beyond Commons donations and events focused on editing: data, mapping, mixed media, and more complex Open GLAM outreach projects abound. Global growth and more partnerships diversify what it means to do “GLAM-Wiki”, but documentation and technology lag behind this diversification.
This discussion will ask big questions about strategically supporting GLAM-Wiki across the movement:
- How do we help new GLAM-Wiki volunteers grow partnerships?
- What is the technical deficit for GLAM-Wiki?
- What capacity building opportunities are there for Wikimedia affiliates, employed GLAM-Wiki participants, and the WMF?
- Identify opportunities for WMF and affiliates to support greater movement wide support of GLAM-Wiki
- Help new and experience GLAM-Wiki contributors identify growing trends and opportunities in GLAM-Wiki
- Targeted Participants
- Active GLAM-Wiki volunteers, affiliate GLAM-Wiki coordinators and other programatic organizers
- Wikimedia volunteers interested in developing GLAM-Wiki efforts in their own context
- Do you want to read up on the topic? Some suggested reading (not required to participate!)
- Explore the GLAM-Wiki documentation on outreach
(This discussion topic is based mostly on this proposal: 'What are the movement-wide opportunities for supporting GLAM-Wiki?')