About Esino Lario
Esino Lario is a comune of the Province of Lecco in the Italian region of Lombardy, located about 60 kilometres (37 mi) north of Milan and about 4.3 kilometres (2.7 mi) from the eastern shore of Lake Como.
- Coordinates: 45.9942 9.3329
- Area: 18.05 km² (6,97 sq mi)
- Elevation: 910 m (2,985 ft)
- Highest point: 2,360 m (7742 ft)
- Lowest point: 580 m (1902 ft)
- Town hall: 855 m (2805 ft)
- Population: 760 inhabitants
- Density: 42.11/km²
Esino Lario is a mountain village located in Northern Italy, Lombardy Region, Province of Lecco, Lake Como area. From some points of Esino Lario you can admire the spectacular lake at your feet. Esino is surrounded by woods and immersed in the quiet of nature.
Esino Lario is located in the foothills of the Alps and it is characterized by an alpine climate, with cold and snowy winters and hot summers. In June we can expect temperatures between 15 °C (59 °F) in the early morning, before sunrise and 30 °C (86 °F) during the afternoon. In June, sun rises at about 5:30 a.m. and goes down at about 21:15.
Reach Esino Lario
Check travel for details on how to get to Esino Lario.
→ see main article: Visa
You can move in Esino Lario on foot, so you can visit it in a day.
- Villa Clotilde is the seat of the tourist office and library/archive. Admission is free with a chance to make a donation in support of the activities.
- Museo delle Grigne is placed in the park of Villa Clotilde. It has a collection of archeology, paleontology and geology. The museum preserves some of the rich archeological finds of the territory and it has a large collection of fossils of the Grigna mountains. The museum also presents a small demo-ethno-anthropological collection.
- Chiesa Parrocchiale di San Vittore Martire sul Castello is the main church in Esino Lario. Dedicated to Saint Victor, it's located on a ridge over the village and mentioned in a document already in 13th century.
- Via Crucis is a series of chapels accompanying the faithful along the way to reach the church. It was realized by the sculptor Michele Vedani.
- Chiesa di San'Antonio Abate and Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista are two churches placed respectively in Esino Superiore (upper Esino) and Esino Inferiore (Lower Esino) and dedicated to Saint Anthony the Great and Saint John the Baptist.
- Torre di Esino ruins are visible from the centre. It is one of the sighting towers used as the fortification system of the territory. The tower belongs to a private owner and it is in pretty bad condition.
- Parco della Grigna Settentrionale is a regional natural park between Lake Como and Alpi Orobie. Established in 2005, it occupies an area of 5,541.46 ha (21.4 sq mi).
Around Esino Lario
Esino Lario is located in a wonderful context and is surrounded by a lot of beauties among which Lake Como, Alps, the cities of Lecco, Milan and Bergamo. Lombardy is a region with a great cultural heritage, recognized by UNESCO with the identification of nine World Heritage Sites, three of which are shared with Switzerland.
Before and after Wikimania, the working group will organize some excursions.
→ see main article: Excursions
Si parla italiano
Esino Lario is in Northen Italy, so the language spoken is Italian. Even if someone does not speak English, the Esino Lario people (called esinesi) usually have a good character and are kind, and surely will be ready to help if so requested. Some of them have participated in English courses thinking of Wikimania.
The local currency is Euro (EUR – €), issued in coins on 0.01, 0.02, 0.05, 0.10, 0.20, 0.50, 1 and 2 euros. Banknotes are issued in 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500. The exchange rate varies day to day but you can see it on Google Finance.
Money exchange businesses can easily be found on the airport and in Milano Centrale (Milan Central Station), although the exchange can be done in many banks. By law, almost no establishment will accept payments in anything but Euros.
Esino Lario is a very quiet village, almost free of crime. But it's a mountain village: please, don't delve into the woods out of an organized walk and without a local: you risk losing yourself.
In Esino Lario there aren't dangerous animals, except vipers: they lurk mostly under rocks, so when you walk in the wood, make noise with a stick to scare and keep them away. They are harmless if they are not disturbed.
In case of emergency don't hesitate to call the emergency telephone number 112.
As already mentioned, Esino Lario is a mountain village, so there are many differences in height. From your accomodation and the venues you may have to walk for a few minutes uphill or downhill, so it is important to wear comfortable shoes or hiking boots. Be sure to bring with you a raincoat and umbrella (in case of rain), some sweater for the evening fresh air and, if your skin is sensitive to the sun, a sun lotion. You can also bring with you a blanket to use for a picnic on the lawn.
Esino Lario on Wikimedia projects